Import XP5 dive data from Seemann software

Berthold Cogel cogel at uni-koeln.de
Fri Aug 30 00:11:57 UTC 2013

Am 28.08.2013 01:36, schrieb Linus Torvalds:
> On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 1:13 AM, Berthold Cogel <cogel at uni-koeln.de> wrote:
>>
>> Before I switched to a Vyper Air, I made a lot of dives with an old XP5
>> (Seemann Sub) and downloaded the dive data to the Seemann software.
>> I can export the dives as ASCII-Files (one file per dive). How can I
>> import the dives into subsurface? Is there a converter? Or a
>> specification for an import file format?
>
> There's no "specification" for an import file format, but the native
> subsurface xml is a very readable ASCII file, and subsurface will
> import pretty much anything that looks remotely like xml, guessing (if
> required) its way to something half-way reasonable. So turning some
> other file into xml that looks even remotely like the native
> subsurface xml will probably go a long way.
>
> What kind of ascii files are the Seeman Sub files? Are you willing to
> share a few examples (possibly together with screen-shots of how the
> dive looks in the native software, just so that we can match up units
> etc)? We've written importers for various things, and it's not
> necessarily all that hard.
>
> Alternatively, some files are so obscured on purpose (I'm looking at
> you, Cochran) that importing them is totally impossible. The fact that
> yours are ASCII
>
>             Linus

There a two kind of files:

- the database of the Seemann software (originally Oceanic?)
- the exported dive files (one per dive), ASCII table with a kind of
header, self explaining ...

I will provide a link to some dives data. But I'll have to find some
'special' dives first. With warnings, deco... so you see these too.

Berthold