Fwd: Re: Mares Dive Organiser import

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Dec 4 07:20:35 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-12-04 at 15:28 +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:

> Any initial conversion will have to be in Win and one would want to do
> as little as possible in Win, remote from subsurface. The Dive
> Organiser holds quite a lot of info for each dive. I have the support
> of my son who is a Win software architect. A stand-alone Win app
> converting to subsurface XML would be ideal but it would result in
> fragmentation of software around subsurface itself.  I suspect the
> text-based formats (XML or CSV) are probably the simplest to
> communicate between Linux, Win, Mac. I am looking at this because I
> believe that such an import facility would really promote migration to
> subsurface.
> Magician Hohnel, any opinion about a viable route?

First, let's make the 'd' in my last name re-appear... :-)

I'll be honest with you. This seems like a waste of time. There
apparently is a good importer that Rainer wrote for divelogs.de.
And we will soon have an integrated importer for divelogs.de. Which
means that "standalone app" that you are looking for exists. It's called
divelogs.de and runs on any platform.

So why duplicate?

/D