Documentation update

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Dec 4 12:14:12 UTC 2013

Hi there, Willem

On Wed, 2013-12-04 at 21:36 +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> Herewith another update. Two changes:
>
> 1) Correction of references to external literature as previously
> discussed. Only URLs to web in manual now.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

> 2) Section on the subsurface Preferences added.

Cool.

> Please look at at last two paragraphs on the preferences section, as
> well as the problematic parts with external references.

I will. I still need to actually print the docs and read them end to
end. That's usually the best way to get a feel for them. I'm just so
overloaded with all the other things that I keep putting it off

PLEA FOR HELP

There are > 100 people on this list. Could a few of you please take the
time to review and send feedback? We have this problem before every
major release... one person steps up to work on docs and every one else
runs away and thinks "thank $(DEITY) it's not me"...

But good documentation is CRITICAL.

Seriously.

Please?

> Two things to keep in mind:
> a) I personally prefer the asciidoc translation with a toclevels=3
> option. default toclevels=2 shortens contents list so as to loose a lot
> of functionality for a person seeking specific information.

And since you are the current maintainer, that's something you can
change.

> b) The links to web outside that I added actually do not work well if
> the documentation is invoked from Help->User manual. One cannot get back
> from the external source to the user manual. Any ideas?

No idea. QT experts?

> External sources of information a big headache. Immersed magazine does
> not exist anymore. Baker's articles all in third-level repositories that
> may have a doubtful long term existence. In my work I deal with
> copyright issues every day. I am looking at possibilities.

Thanks, Willem. Again.

BTW: when attaching patches... you can simply drop the ones that you
didn't author - like the translation updates. That will make your emails
less gigantic, too :-)