=== DIVE UPLOADS ===

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Thu Dec 5 05:07:40 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-02 13:10, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> Dear subsurface community,
>
> Please write to this mail list, listing
>
> 1) which dive computer(s) you have used
> 2) Whether it/they worked out-of-the-box in uploading dives to
> subsurface, or whether any special setup was required to get the DC to
> upload dives to subsurface.
>
> For example, here is my rather short list of experience:
> Mares Puck 2: out-of the box, using device ttyUSB0 on Ubuntu
> Mares Puck Pro: out-of the box, using device ttyUSB0 on Ubuntu
>
> What happens with Uwatec DC's or Suunto D9 tx?
>
> The above information is required to get the upload information in the
> user manual as current as possible. We regard this as CRITICAL for the
> use of subsurface, especially if any special setup was required to
> achieve dive upload from a particular DC.

My impression is that the majority of supported device computers works
fine out-of-the-box. Most reports I receive are either user errors (e.g.
pc mode not activated, almost empty batteries, cable upside down, wrong
cable purchased, etc) or at the parser level (e.g. incorrect decoding of
some data). Real communication errors (as in getting no response from
the dive computer) are relative rare, but unfortunately they do happen,
and they are very difficult to debug too.

But on the other hand, I usually only get to see the failures. For every
troubleshooting report I get, there are probably many more successful
downloads. So it's very hard to tell whether one brand or model is more
problematic than others. For example, if I get a fairly amount of bug
reports for Suunto devices, is that because they don't work very well,
or just because they happen to be the most popular brand?

Jef