Install instructions

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Dec 7 07:06:47 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-12-07 at 11:03 +0000, Holger Schmermbeck wrote:
> Dazed_75 wrote:
> > Sorry, I was not ready to send that, so ...
> >

> > On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM, Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I know you are all very busy so I understand if no one has time for this,
> >> but I am setting up a new VM in which to build and test SubSurface under
> >> Ubuntu 13.10.  I am following the guidelines laid out in the INSTALL
> >> document in subsurface-61d5aac so hopefully, the problems I encounter can
> >> indicate a documentation problem that needs to be fixed.
> >>

> >>    1. It would appear thatautoconf (or autoconf2.13?) should be included
> >>    in the list of items that should be installed for the libdivecomputer
> >>    section.
> >>    2. After installing autoconf, the autoconf --install instruction fails
> >>    with:
>

> Yesterday I reinstalled my Debian, after crashing it. And so I saw, that
> the Install instructions for libdivecomputer seems to be crap, for the
> actual versions.

Hmm, that's a harsh word. So let's compare

Here is what's in the INSTALL file for Linux:
To compile libdivecomputer:
$ git clone git://git.libdivecomputer.org/libdivecomputer
$ cd libdivecomputer
$ git checkout release-0.4
$ autoreconf --install
$ ./configure --disable-shared
$ make
$ sudo make install

> So try it this way
>
> git clone git://git.libdivecomputer.org/libdivecomputer.git
> cd libdivecomputer/

That trailing slash?

> git checkout v0.4.1

That's wrong - if you build from source you almost certainly want the
latest commit in the release-0.4 branch, not the v0.4.1 tag

> autoreconf --install
> ./configure

So you allow shared libraries. We have that discussion here every few
months. There is no good reason to want shared libraries for
libdivecomputer, and many good reasons to want to link statically.
So I'd consider this wrong.

> make
> sudo make install (or if no sudo is allowed - su -c "make install")

That last part in parenthesis is semi useful

How the other differences make what's in the INSTALL "crap" I don't
quite understand.

Can you enlighten me?