User manual: final edits before V4.0

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Dec 13 12:59:37 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-12-13 at 19:55 +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> Attached, as discussed. Very minor edits. See commit notes.
> Kind regards,
> willemf.

Here are the edits I disagree with:

(since you don't linebreak the paragraphs these are almost impossible to
quote here...)

1)
you undid my change to move Windows first, Mac OS second and Linux
third. This is simply done by size of our user base. More than 70% of
our users are on Windows. So we should list that platform first. The
Linux platform is a massive and major pain in the rear. It's impossible
to create binaries that run on several version of the OS, the different
DEs make things miserable - certainly not the 'preferred platform'.

It's the platform that most of the developers use, but never confuse the
developers with the users of an application.

2)
you undid my change to the explanation as to when a dive merge might
fail and your language is flat out wrong. So I'm going back to what I
wrote there:

When importing dives, _Subsurface_ tries to detect multiple records for
the same dive and merges the information as best as it can. If
there are no time zone issues (or other reasons that would cause the
beginning time of the dives to be significantly different) _Subsurface_
will not create duplicate entries.

You replace "significantly different" with "similar" and that just makes
no sense. Subsurface will merge the entries (not create duplicates), if
the times ARE similar and other criteria are met. And if the times are
way off (because of time zone issues, incorrect clock settings or
because the user edited the time) then it will NOT merge

3)
you changed the URL from www.divelogs.de to en.divelogs.de - why would
we do that? www tries to automatically give the user their preferred
language.

I will take everything else