old tags lost

Thomas 'Mike' Michlmayr mike at cluon.priv.at
Fri Dec 13 15:08:57 UTC 2013

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 00:36:21 +0200,
"Lubomir I. Ivanov" <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> i'm not sure that by 'local' you mean a remote i.e. a repository on
> the subsurface website (1) or a local repository on the user pc (2).

(2), a local repository on the users pc.

[...]
> 1) massive amount of bandwidth and server meltdown if we attempt the
> stunt to maintain a branch for each user that tires to push changes
> via some sort of a protocol that connect to a shell and then invokes
> git to commit changes for him. prone to hacks and massive amount of
> *fun*.

i had never even considered a fully centralized solution for many
reasons: all eggs in one basket, who fund the infra, and most importantly,
no offline working.

> 2) local installation bundling of SCM (or like you say RCS) is a waste
> of disk space and developer brain power investigating installation
> procedures. git on windows as an example is not an easy toy to install
> and it's 200 mb, as for example it may come bundled with MSYS
> (msys-git).

i'm not a windows user, so i can't comment on the windows specific
problems. linux should be no problem, and MacOS is pretty easy also.
but i agree, you'd either need to make it a prerequisite or bundle it.

i could even see a solution where subsurface runs in "normal" mode if
the SCM/VCS is not found, and in "versioned" mode if the supported VCS
is installed on the system.

[...]
> i think the user should maintain his own version history, manually.
> the same applies to backup-ing photos or valuable documents. if he's a
> developer obviously much easier for him as he can use SCM.

it sucks for photos and documents. subsurface could suck less.

--
Thomas 'Mike' Michlmayr  | ignorami: n: The BOFH art of folding problem
<mike+sig at cluon.priv.at> |           lusers into representational shapes.