Totally off the Subsurface topic.

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Fri Dec 13 22:46:01 UTC 2013

On 14/12/2013 01:01, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> I used to work for S.u.S.E., err SuSE, err SUSE... Now I work for Intel.
> Not sure what that says about me.

I should write this privately, but seeing Tomaz and Thiago are part of
the audience, I do it this way.

Intel is an exceptional company in many ways. Since back in the late
seventies even though intel was competing with several other cpu
manufacturers it has consistently had exceptional user relationships.
The time period from the release of the 4040 cpu until the 8088 was the
time when a non-engineer could still build a computing system from
component level. In this, Intel supplied manuals and application notes
in profusion, mighty thick books that must have cost a lot to print. I
still have an entire book shelf with manuals and app notes that I got
free of change from the local Intel representatives and that I keep for
sentimental reasons and that has travelled with us for 30 years. That is
still my lasting impression of the company. The very fact that intel has
an open-source division indicates that it is open to the world out
there, interacting with that world, facilitating in many cases (as in
Subsurface). I hope this helps so you can see what that says about you.

Kind regards,
willemf