4.0 about to be announced... Re: 4.0 release on hold...

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 15:11:54 UTC 2013

On 16 December 2013 00:51, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-12-16 at 00:37 +0200, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:

>> > OK, I simply ripped out the https for Windows.
>> > Not a great solution, but I really don't want a non-working 4.0 binary
>> > on the web site...
>> >

>> On 5 December 2013 18:45, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > a couple of notes:
>> > - the following files from openssl are needed on win32:
>> > libeay32.dll
>> > libssl32.dll
>> > ssleay32.dll
>>
>> all i can say is to repeat myself from from 10 days ago... :)
>
> Yes. And ten days ago I couldn't find these files, nor can I today.
> The eay files seem a complete red herring. That's for the EAY
> implementation of SSL, not OpenSSL. But even with libssl-10.dll
> installed it still fails.
>
> Maybe it's a small thing - wrong folder, whatever.
>
> I just ran out of time.
>
>> no idea if easy to maintain on linux tho, what i did on windows is to
>> simply download a zip that provided the dlls prebuild from the openssl
>> website.
>>
>> also not sure why Qt depends on that, but i simply found the solution
>> on a forum, where someone had the same issue.
>
> I may be a cynic... but downloading random zip files with dlls and then
> bundling them into something that people can download from our site... I
> don't feel comfortable with this. That's one of the reasons I cross
> build under Linux - smaller likelihood of inadvertently redistributing
> malware...

can't really counter that with any argument, TBH.
it just works(tm), or if it didn't i wouldn't be able debug the
divelogs.de connection at all for the not so great amount work that i
did over thiago's framework in the webservices code.

it's still an official download (from OpenSSL), so i would include it
in the win32 installer.
but still *no idea* why this is a Qt dependency and how easy that is
to handle when cross-building!

lubomir