merge window for Subsurface 4.1 is open

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Dec 15 15:54:53 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-16 at 01:48 +0200, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
> On 16 December 2013 01:40, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hehe...
> >
> > that caught your attention, didn't it?
> >
> > I am thinking of switching to a time based release methodology. There
> > are a couple of weird obscure open source projects that have dabbled
> > with this and apparently this is working well for them... :-)
> >
> > So for 4.1 this is mainly a crazy idea, but starting with 4.2 I really
> > want to do this.
> >
> > Something like: a 4 weeks window to merge new features after a release.
> > Then 8 weeks of bug fixing, documenting, translating, and finally a week
> > to do the release. Which gives us quarterly releases.
> >
> > Comments (besides the obvious "you're on drugs, Dirk")?
> >

> i think i like it, because this way if someone can contribute he/she
> will in the given time frame; and we have a better prediction over the
> patches.
> ...if not, a feature or translation (or whatever) will be scheduled
> for the next release. ;)

That's very much the idea. People will know roughly when we'll have a
release (my guess is towards the end of each quarter), when I will merge
new code (the four weeks following the release), when to expect to work
on translations (something like 10 weeks after a release), etc.

So for 4.1 (and I'm not sure I'll be as firm here as this is the first
time we do this) I'm thinking I'll take new features until mid January
(which is fun as I'll be traveling with most likely ROTTEN internet in
Jan 10-16). And then translations will start end of February for a
release in Mid March?