merge window for Subsurface 4.1 is open

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Sun Dec 15 16:21:28 UTC 2013

On 12/16/2013 01:01 AM, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
> On 16 December 2013 01:56, Lutz Vieweg <lvml at 5t9.de> wrote:
>>
>> PS: I'm writing this on a laptop that I just had to boot with
>> an ancient linux-3.8 kernel just because the also installed
>> linux-3.11 kernel won't work with the darned USB-EtherNet
>> adapter... I wished the USB subsystem of Linux wasn't
>> on a time-based release lifecycle but on one that would only
>> turn into a release when no regression tests fail... :-(
>
> that's very odd,
> and i would blame a retarded peace of hardware.

I don't really like to use USB EtherNet adapters, but unluckily,
all manufacturers of modern light-weight laptops have conspired to ditch
real EtherNet ports in favor of requiring people to use USB adapters :(

> i don't see any reason why something from 3.8 will work but something
> from 4.x will not.

Ehm... this is not about an incompatibility of Subsurface, I was
talking just about linux kernel 3.8.x vs. 3.11.x ... so no 4.x
involved :-)

> have you tried sending a bug/regression report for this one?

I did report bugs regardings USB regressions before, but the
particular adapter I'm using right now is one I borrowed from
the hotel I'm currently staying at. (They surprisingly do not
have wireless, but wired InterNet access, only, in the rooms.)
So I wouldn't be able to re-check if a fix was published in a
few months.
Also, I wouldn't want to dilute attention (if there is any)
from the one open USB bug that currently bothers me most (#53211).

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg