Install instructions

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 16:07:20 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Jef Driesen <jef at libdivecomputer.org>wrote:

> On 17-12-13 00:03, Dazed_75 wrote:
>
>> Just a reminder that no one has ever provided a fix for the problem
>> originally reported.  That being that if one wishes to build
>> libdivecomputer in Linux, the directions provided on
>> http://subsurface.hohndel.org/building/ do not work as the step
>> "autoreconf
>> --install" fails because LT_INIT is referenced in aclocal.m4 and defined
>> (?) in both configure.ac and configure as being "win32.dll" which
>> obviously
>> does not exist in Linux.
>>
>> So ... should that step be left out, changed, or one of those files
>> modified to point at something that DOES exist, or what?
>>

> The instructions are correct. I suspect you do not have libtool installed.
>
> Thanks for the reply Jef.  The build instruction for Linux do not
specifically call out libtool but it MAY be installed:
larry at dev-vm:~/libdivecomputer$ locate libtool
/usr/lib/rpm/libtooodeps.sh
/usr/lib/rpm/fileattrs/libtool.attr
/usr/share/automake-1.13/am/libtool.am
/usr/share/gtksourceview-3.0/language-specs/libtool.lang

The win32-dll is windows specific option that is required to convince
> libtool to build a dll. It's ignored on all other platforms.

but perhaps the more telling thing is that I am on Linux building for
Linux, NOT for Windows and it does not seem to be ignored.  Perhaps there
is some OTHER environment variable not being set that would cause the
"autoreconf --install" to work?  Perhaps using

LT_INIT([disable-shared])

which I might infer from Dirks earlier comment?

--
Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses
from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.