Install instructions

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 20:16:16 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-12-16 at 18:36 -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
> > Two additional issues now.
> >

> > 1) There should probably be some mention on
> > http://subsurface.hohndel.org/building/ about why/why not to install
> > asciidoc and a warning about the messages from make install if you do
> > not.  I did notice the mac instructions DO include installing
> > asciidoc.
>
> Sure, we can include that.
> >
> > 2) The sudo make install in the Linux section still fails with:
> >
> > mkdir: cannot create directory `//subsurface': Not a directory
> >
> > make: *** [install_marbledir] Error 1
> >

> That makes no sense. Which options did you call qmake with?
> Which platform is this on?

No options at all as shown on the "Building" page.  I used qmake rather
than qmake-qt4 although both executables are present.

This is on Ubuntu 13.10 installed in a VirtualBox VM

It looks like the offending lines in Makefile are:

install_marbledir: first FORCE
        @$(CHK_DIR_EXISTS) $(INSTALL_ROOT)/$(DATADIR)/subsurface/data/ ||
$(MKDIR) $(INSTALL_ROOT)/$(DATADIR)/subsurface/data/
        -$(INSTALL_DIR) /home/larry/subsurface/marbledata/maps
$(INSTALL_ROOT)/$(DATADIR)/subsurface/data/
        -$(INSTALL_DIR) /home/larry/subsurface/marbledata/bitmaps
$(INSTALL_ROOT)/$(DATADIR)/subsurface/data/

and I cannot find anywhere that $DATADIR is defined so maybe the problem is
that it is null leaving 2 consecutive slashes so the MKDIR fails. But I
also don't know where/how to define it.  I tried that optional prefix but
it did not help.

> > so something else seems to be wrong/missing.  I have a client coming
> > in a few minutes so I won't be able to look for this till later.  If
> > anyone knows what the problem is, please let me know.
> >

> > Dirk, I know you have a web page team doing some of this, but I am not
> > sure where/how you want change requests posted.
> >
> A 'team'. Hmm.
> I manage and populate the web. I have a few volunteers who translate
> some of the content to threir native language.

OK, when I finish getting the build working, I will send a coherent email
with all the fixes I know of.  Not many so it won't be much to fix unless
changes are also needed for other build environments.

--
Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses
from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.