Install instructions

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Dec 17 06:33:30 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-12-17 at 15:14 +0100, Robert Helling wrote:
> On 17.12.2013, at 05:16, Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > That makes no sense. Which options did you call qmake with?
> > Which platform is this on?
> >
> > No options at all as shown on the "Building" page.  I used qmake rather than qmake-qt4 although both executables are present.
>
> Same here (on my old debian box)
>
> git pull
> [bla di bla]
> qmake

use qmake-qt4 if you have both

> make
> [bla di bla]
>
> robert at tmp:~/subsurface$ make -n install
> make -C /home/robert/subsurface/Documentation OUT=/home/robert/subsurface/Documentation/ doc
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/robert/subsurface/Documentation'
> make[1]: Nothing to be done for `doc'.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/robert/subsurface/Documentation'
> test -d // || mkdir -p //

Check your Makefile. What is 'prefix' set to? It's '/usr' on my Debian
system and things work perfectly.

> install -m 755 -p /home/robert/subsurface/subsurface //
> test -d // || mkdir -p //
> install -m 644 -p /home/robert/subsurface/subsurface.desktop //

This means that not only 'prefix' is missing - something is completely
hosed:

 BINDIR = $(prefix)/bin
 DATADIR = $(prefix)/share
 DESKTOPDIR = $(DATADIR)/applications

Those two install instructions above install into BINDIR and DESKTOPDIR

If those variables resolve to '//' then something is seriously wrong.