Uwatec Smart Z data download takes 1.5 hours for only 4 dives

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Tue Dec 24 00:53:55 UTC 2013

On 24-12-13 08:59, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> I strongly support this. The mares DCs that I have dealt with all
> download ALL dives.
> It would also make the checkbox "Force download of all dives" in the
> Download from Dive Computer dialogue meaningful.

I already discussed this with Willem a while ago, but it might be of interest
for others too.

The fact that for the ichonhd family libdivecomputer always download all dives
is due to historic reasons. When I implemented the iconhd protocol, I wasn't
aware the protocol is capable of reading at arbitrary memory addresses. I just
duplicated Dive Organizer's behavior of downloading all data. In newer versions
Dive Organizer no longer does that, and libdivecomputer could be improved to do
the same. I just didn't had the time yet to implement a more efficient
algorithm. (Downloading everything is already relative fast, so it's also not
that bad compared to others.)

So for the Mares devices, this possible optimization is a pure libdivecomputer
issue, and independent of the use of the fingerprint feature in subsurface.

Jef