Some recent change completely broke the DC import

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Dec 26 10:32:44 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-12-26 at 18:38 +0100, Lutz Vieweg wrote:
> On 12/26/2013 06:12 PM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > So you can reproduce this by doing this:
> >
> > start Subsurface
> > close current data file
> > start download from DC
> > pick your computer (which vendor / model? which device?)
>
> Suunto / D9 / /dev/ttyUSB0
>
> > start download
> > nothing in the dive list
> >
> > Correct?
>
> Hmm... it's really somewhat weird, but when I just tried the above,
> the import worked.
>
> BUT then I exited subsurface and did:
>
>    mv ~/subsurface ~/subsurface.bak
>    ~/bin/subsurface
>    ... then download from DC
>
> (so instead of closing the current data file starting
> with no ~/subsurface directory existing), and again the import
> failed.

What's the significance of the ~/subsurface directory?
Are you running different binaries in these two scenarios?
Your configuration on a Linux system is stored in
~/.config/Subsurface/Subsurface.conf
Is your default data file in ~/subsurface ?
Is it possible that there are new dives on the dive computer, i.e. that
all your dives are already downloaded if you have your ~/subsurface
directory in its usual place?

> Another exit, another restart then import, and the import
> worked again.

Wait - so even if you remove the ~/subsurface directory, on the second
attempt it works?

> So my only way for reproduction currently is to start without
> an existing ~/subsurface directory.

I'm mildly confused about the exact steps when it does or does not work.
Sorry to make you repeat yourself, but understanding what triggers this
might help track it down...