Selecting a trip + edit does not change attributes of all dives

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Dec 26 16:25:01 UTC 2013

On Dec 26, 2013, at 4:16 PM, Lutz Vieweg <lvml at 5t9.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder whether this is intentional or an error:
>
> When you auto-group dives and then left-click on the "trip", all dives of that trip are marked as if selected.
>
> In that situation, if I enter some value into e.g. the Equipment/Cylinder Size field, the blue note states "trip is being edited", but any change I enter will not apply so the (seemingly) selected dives.

The logic here is a bit quirky but once you think about it, it makes perfect sense.

When multiple dives are highlighted you always see one dive actually display (the selected dive). When you make a change to some value for that dive, then this doesn’t simply overwrite the corresponding values in all highlighted dives. Instead it only changes those dives for whom that value was either empty or the same as the master dive.

So let’s say you have an AL80 in some of the dives and an HP119 in some others. The selected dive shows AL80. If you change that to AL85 then ONLY the dives that had AL80 tanks will be changed to AL85.

Or, if you have multiple dives highlighted, some with air, some with EAN32. The selected dive (what is shown) is EAN32. If you change that to EAN36 then the air dives are still air.

Oh, and start and end pressure are never applied to all dives. That wouldn’t make any sense, right? Why would you have multiple dives with the same start and end pressure?

> That is somewhat confusing. Is the "equipment of the trip" considered something on its own, independent of the "equipment of the dives"?

No, there’s no such thing as equipment of the trip. Or at least there shouldn’t be. Let me check that :-)

Uhh. Now THERE’s a bug. You shouldn’t be able to go to the equipment tab when you are in trip editing mode.
I’ll need to fix that.

So maybe all I wrote above has nothing to do with this… you simply shouldn’t be able to get to Equipment when editing a trip. You SHOULD get there when editing multiple dives. and then the rules explained above should apply.