Uwatec Smart Z data download takes 1.5 hours for only 4 dives

Sape Sikkema s.sikkema at telfort.nl
Sat Dec 28 05:51:47 UTC 2013

Dear development team,

Thanks for your relentless efforts to solve my problem. If I understand
correctly there are two issues:

1. Subsurface always downloads all dives from the Uwatec Smart Z device
because of the fact Subsurface does not use the fingerprint feature.
2. Some drivers / kernels have an effect on the transfer speed.

On Jef's request I did some test with different linux kernels and
different hardware to download all 102 dives from the device using both
SmartTrak and the libdivecomputer universal application. Here are the
results:

Desktop Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM:

1: Universal, OpenSuse 13.1 kernel 3.11.6-4-default:     77 mins
2: Universal, Xubuntu 12.04 kernel 3.2.0-52-generic (live-CD): 18 mins
3: SmartTrak, OpenSuse 13.1 kernel 3.11.6-4-default + Wine:       80 mins
4: SmartTrak, Windows XP:                   13 mins
5: Universal, Windows XP:                     12 mins

Netbook Acer Aspire One ZG5, 1 GB RAM:

4: Universal, Ubuntu 12.04 kernel 3.2.0-57-generic:     18 mins
6: Universal, OpenSuse 13.1 kernel 3.11.6-4-default (live CD): 80 mins

Hope this helps you to find the root cause of the slow data
transmission. Let me know if I can do more.

Best Regards,

Sape