Uwatec Smart Z data download takes 1.5 hours for only 4 dives

Sape Sikkema s.sikkema at telfort.nl
Sun Dec 29 06:39:33 UTC 2013

Linus,

Indeed, the dongle is a SigmaTel STIr 4200, its ID is 066f:4200. It did
not come with the dive computer. It was a $5.00 purchase from a webshop
in Hongkong.

I checked the Uwatec site. The drivers they supply for Windows are named
IR778. Amazone.com sells a "GearMo® IR778 USB Smart Infrared Device for
UWATEC dive computer works on Windows and MAC". The distinctive lipstick
shape could indicate they are exactly the same.

Uwatec says many IR devices will be able to communicate with Smart dive
computers, however, they recommend their IR778. Frobese.de (makers of
Jtrak) had a similar statement, but I'm not able to find it anymore.

I used to have another dongle, MA620. This one had a communication
problem when used in Ubuntu downloading Smart Z data. I had to make a
change in irlap.c and compile a new irda.ko. This had to be done after
each kernel update.

Talking about other hardware using IR: I happen to have a Medion Pocket
PC MD95000. I'm willing to do more data transfer speed tests (if I'm
able to mount it) by sending forth and back a big file.

Sape