DC imports vs. "ModemManager"

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Sun Dec 29 16:14:57 UTC 2013

Hi all,

while investigating the strange import failures that I experience
(see thread "Some recent change completely broke the DC import")
I found a very disturbing factor with imports (which, unluckily,
after having been removed, does not my earlier reported issue):

Some Linux distributions come with a obscure, started-by-default,
not-to-be-easily-disabled and not very well documented software
called "ModemManager", which will do funny things to all serial
devices it finds.

(Other people reported problems with this before:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=280484 ).

Removing ModemManager did resolve one issue for me: Sometimes,
Subsurface would report that ttyUSB0 was "busy". The Nth retry
would then proceed.

But as I said, removing ModemManager does not keep me from experiencing
the "imports that seem to run fine, but leave me with no dives actually
imported". Will try some more to find the conditions leading to that.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg