Towards 3.0

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Feb 1 00:16:19 PST 2013

Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> writes:
> What I still expect to happen before 3.0
>
> - the issue with the interaction of keyboard and mouse needs to be
>   solved one way or another. I really like the way the cursor keys work
>   now, but there has to be a way to either turn off the enter
>   functionality to select a dive or to fix it.

This is fixed

> - there are tons of little usability glitches. Everyone can help here -
>   even if you don't know how to program. Play with loading different
>   files, editing dives, deleting things, adding things, removing trips,
>   playing with dive plans, etc.

We have started this. More work needed

> - there are still lots of places that aren't sufficiently aware of
>   multiple divecomputers. In a way that's no big deal as most sane
>   people have only one dive computer they download from - still, there
>   is a lot of low hanging fruit out there.
> - the documentation urgently needs work. So much has changed since this
>   was written and decent documentation is one of the key success factors
>   for an application like Subsurface.
>   VOLUNTEERS URGENTLY NEEDED. SERIOUSLY. Anyone can help here.
> - in a day or two I'll update the strings and will ask the translators
>   to start working on that.

I did that today and pushed it out, including a first German
translation.

I also bumped the version to 2.9 and tagged that and as expected found a
flaw in my version number magic in the Makefile (which was one of the
key reasons to do this in the first place). But this was also intended
as a sign of "hey, we're about to do a release - let's consider this a
soft code freeze / string freeze".

I'll still accept bug fixes and MINOR features that just complement what
we already have or finish things that we have started. But mostly I'm
asking people to test, test, test.

And fix bugs :-)