Towards 3.0

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Sun Feb 3 12:29:38 PST 2013

On 01/31/2013 06:08 AM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> Am I missing anything?

Advertisement! :-)

But seriously, subsurface is known by way too few people given how
excellent it is - especially in comparison to the crappy software
most DC manufacturers curse their customers with.

 From my experience I'd say a large part of the diving community
is not very IT-affine, so they won't notice the appearance of a free
software like subsurface easily.

I created an entry for subsurface in the link database of taucher.net
(the most popular diving bulletin board in the german speaking part of
the WWW) - it's at the last entry on this page:
http://www.taucher.net/software/taucherlinks_Software_tl112.html

If you don't mind, I'd volunteer to pay a few bucks to "taucher.net"
once the 3.0 release is out to put up a banner advertisement on their page -
it's only 17,85 EUR for a month, which should be enough to let regular
readers there take notice of subsurface. (Alexa stats on taucher.net are
available here: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/www.taucher.net )

(BTW: Could I use a downscaled version of
http://subsurface.hohndel.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/SubsurfaceBanner20121.png
for such a banner, or are there legal concerns / 3rd party rights
associated with that image?)

If time permits, I'd also volunteer to prepare a simple German language
"landing page" to link to, just to make sure that non-english speaking
users do at least find the "download" button ;-)
Would you be willing to host such a "localized" landing page on hohndel.org?

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg