Towards 3.0

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Feb 3 12:38:42 PST 2013

Lutz Vieweg <lvml at 5t9.de> writes:

> On 01/31/2013 06:08 AM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> Am I missing anything?
>
> Advertisement! :-)

Funny you should say that. That was one of the things I said in my talk
last week.

> But seriously, subsurface is known by way too few people given how
> excellent it is - especially in comparison to the crappy software
> most DC manufacturers curse their customers with.

Yes.

>  From my experience I'd say a large part of the diving community
> is not very IT-affine, so they won't notice the appearance of a free
> software like subsurface easily.

Correct. And I'm not sure our software (and especially its
documentation) is ready for that market. Whenever I have divers I know
outside of computer circles try this they fail within minutes and give
up on it, going back to far worse software that they think they can
figure out. So that is our biggest challenge.

> I created an entry for subsurface in the link database of taucher.net
> (the most popular diving bulletin board in the german speaking part of
> the WWW) - it's at the last entry on this page:
> http://www.taucher.net/software/taucherlinks_Software_tl112.html
>
> If you don't mind, I'd volunteer to pay a few bucks to "taucher.net"
> once the 3.0 release is out to put up a banner advertisement on their page -
> it's only 17,85 EUR for a month, which should be enough to let regular
> readers there take notice of subsurface. (Alexa stats on taucher.net are
> available here: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/www.taucher.net )

It's your money :-)

But seriously, then we'd need a German language web page and German
translation of the documentation, wouldn't we?

> (BTW: Could I use a downscaled version of
> http://subsurface.hohndel.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/SubsurfaceBanner20121.png
> for such a banner, or are there legal concerns / 3rd party rights
> associated with that image?)

I have created all banners we have used myself... so no concerns at all
:-)

> If time permits, I'd also volunteer to prepare a simple German language
> "landing page" to link to, just to make sure that non-english speaking
> users do at least find the "download" button ;-)
> Would you be willing to host such a "localized" landing page on hohndel.org?

I'd be willing to work with you on a localized version of
subsurface.hohndel.org/de