Towards 3.0

Jan Schubert Jan.Schubert at GMX.li
Sun Feb 3 13:03:00 PST 2013

On 02/03/13 21:38, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> Lutz Vieweg <lvml at 5t9.de> writes:
>
> > On 01/31/2013 06:08 AM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> >> Am I missing anything?
> >
> > Advertisement! :-)
>
> Funny you should say that. That was one of the things I said in my talk
> last week.

For similar reasons I created that Facebook page some time ago:
https://www.facebook.com/subsurfacedivelog

I'm willing to advertise 3.0 there quite heavily. Especially technical
divers seems to be around there a lot and I already got some feedback
from the previous posts.

> > But seriously, subsurface is known by way too few people given how
> > excellent it is - especially in comparison to the crappy software
> > most DC manufacturers curse their customers with.
>
> Yes.

Funny thing is that most divers are not aware that they are using crap,
they even thankful for official software from DC manufacturers...

> > (BTW: Could I use a downscaled version of
> > http://subsurface.hohndel.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/SubsurfaceBanner20121.png
> > for such a banner, or are there legal concerns / 3rd party rights
> > associated with that image?)
>
> I have created all banners we have used myself... so no concerns at all
> :-)

I'd suggest some metric based images then. Dirk sent me one from his
Hawaii vacations last year which is now used as cover pic in Facebook.
This is not showing deco ceilings and partial pressures, regarding
Taucher.net this should be fine :-)

> > If time permits, I'd also volunteer to prepare a simple German language
> > "landing page" to link to, just to make sure that non-english speaking
> > users do at least find the "download" button ;-)
> > Would you be willing to host such a "localized" landing page on hohndel.org?
>
> I'd be willing to work with you on a localized version of
> subsurface.hohndel.org/de

I'm not that interessted in software and docs in German that much but
let me know if I could be of any help. I might have some good contacts
to people very familar with Taucher.net. They managed to advertise a
small local presentation I did last year all around German speaking
diver communities, incl. WebSites, Newsletters, even printed magazines.
Should be possible to do the same and even more for Subsurface 3.0.

HTH,
Jan