New companion app (Android)

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sun Feb 3 21:45:00 PST 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Aurélien PRALONG
<aurelien.pralong at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have pushed a new branch (NewUI) for the Android application.

You may have fixed this already, because I haven't used the new
version yet, but I thought I'd report on two days of diving with the
previous one.

First off - it worked. That's the good news.

It did have a few problems, though:

 - getting a GPS fix can take a *loong* time. This isn't the fault of
the application, but it does mean that it doesn't really work to hold
the phone just before going diving, because waiting with the phone for
several minutes just isn't a good interface. So some kind of
background mode is definitely needed.

 - after using the application, the GPS stays on (ie the circle in the
status bar). The app doesn't show in the list of currently running
applications, but I had the GPS enabled several hours after having
used the app. Maybe it needs to tell the system that it is done with
the GPS or something?

But on the whole, it was a good experience. Not perfect, but my dives
from yesterday and today now have GPS information thanks to the
companion app, and it was reasonably automatic.

                Linus