New companion app (Android)

Aurélien PRALONG aurelien.pralong at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 01:20:18 PST 2013

> getting a GPS fix can take a *loong* time.
Yes indeed. Phones rely on AGPS to be quick, so without network, it is very
slow. I've heard that new chipset, which rely on GLONASS too, are faster
though. I haven't tested yet, as it is integrated only on recent phones (>=
2012).

> - after using the application, the GPS stays on (ie the circle in the
status bar)
If the GPS is not trying to do a fix (i.e. the circle is not blinking), I
do not think it is a bug : you cannot enable / disable GPS
programmatically, you are only allowed to show system preferences to the
user, so that he may activate it. There was a bug in the OS which allowed
to do it, but it was fixed on 2.3, and I don't think we should do this kind
of things.

> I wonder if we could do something like:
> - when starting the app, check GPS status
> - if GPS is already on, when closing the app, leave the GPS on
> - if GPS was not on, turn it on and when closing the app, stop the GPS.
Displaying a warning when GPS is turned off is a good idea, but stopping it
on exit is annoying for the user. If the application is not using the GPS,
it won't drain a lot of battery, and disabling GPS slows down next fixes
time, from my experience. And it will add confusion / errors with the
background service if we exit both application and GPS : the service won't
have GPS anymore.

Aurélien