New companion app (Android)

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Mon Feb 4 12:45:27 PST 2013

On 02/04/2013 07:47 PM, Lutz Vieweg wrote:
> I've got an android phone that has such a chipset, and that is rumored
> to aquire a fix within 5 seconds. I have not verified this claim, though, as I don't
> have a personal use case. I can try to verify this claim later in the
> evening

I've just made the following experiment: Disabled all network
connectivity. Rebooted the phone. Started Oruk Maps. Made sure Oruk
has no idea where I am (due to positioning being disabled, as has been
the case all the time before). Enabled positioning, asked Oruk to locate me.

It took 13 seconds until the position was shown. This was in a city
street, where visibility of the sky is limited due to surrounding
buildings.
In the same location, my "Garmin GPS" device usually takes 2 to 3
minutes to get a fix.

So there seems to be some truth to the claim that the Glonass-enabled
devices are much faster getting a fix.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg