Small bugs related to translation

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Feb 4 12:59:12 PST 2013

Sergey Starosek <sergey.starosek at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 07:17:13AM +1100, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> > It does work for cardinal directions in capitals (as translated) but not
>> > for lowercase. I guess it's not correct to do strncasecmp() against
>> > multibyte UTF-8 symbols.
>>
>> The idea of looping through the translated string character by character
>> (unrolling the strcasecmp) really sucks as far as I'm concerned. I'm
>> almost back to saying "screw it, people need to input untranslated 'N'
>
> I'd vote for that. I have no idea of how to fix it quickly and correct
> way.

So just having the uppercase work is worse than forcing the English
letters? The reason I'm asking is that the current solution works for
all Western languages plus for upper case letters in Russian and
Bulgarian, right? That does seem better than only supporting 'N'

> If we agree on that, will you update po files and remove these strings?

No need to do that. The extra strings there do no harm.