Towards 3.0

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Feb 5 11:49:57 PST 2013

Holger Dinkel <holger.dinkel at gmx.net> writes:
>> > Am I missing anything?
>>
>> Advertisement! :-)
>>
>> But seriously, subsurface is known by way too few people given how
>> excellent it is - especially in comparison to the crappy software
>> most DC manufacturers curse their customers with.
>
> I totally agree!
>
> What I can offer as help is helping writing and publishing an article describing
> subsurface, its history and most importantly how to use it. I am typsetter for
> the online magazine "www.freiesMagazin.de" (in german, sorry) which publishes free
> (CC-BY-SA) articles about free software, open source and Linux on a monthly
> basis.
>
> The german "about" page at http://subsurface.hohndel.org/de/about/ is already a
> great start that can be used as a primer.
>
> I feel that an article about subsurface would fit very well into the context of
> the magazine, being free software and such. I don't know how many of our readers
> are divers, but the free license of the magazine would allow anybody to reuse,
> translate and republish the article wherever he sees fit.
>
> Let me know what you think of this idea...

I think that's very interesting. Ideall this should be written by one of
our German divers - my German is getting rusty and my dive-German causes
my brother to laugh...

> PS: The editorial deadlines for march and april issue are 15.02. and 22.03.
>     respectively, which makes an appearance in march issue rather unlikely.

A week is doable, if enough of the German divers collaborate - we have
quite a few here on the list. I'll be more than happy to draft
something, help with editing, etc.

How long would that have to be? What are other editorial guidelines?