Towards 3.0

Holger Dinkel holger.dinkel at gmx.net
Tue Feb 5 12:54:46 PST 2013

 On [06. Feb. 2013], Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> >> Advertisement! :-)
> >>
> >> But seriously, subsurface is known by way too few people given how
> >> excellent it is - especially in comparison to the crappy software
> >> most DC manufacturers curse their customers with.
> >
> > I totally agree!
> >
> > What I can offer as help is helping writing and publishing an article describing
> > subsurface, its history and most importantly how to use it. I am typsetter for
> > the online magazine "www.freiesMagazin.de" (in german, sorry) which publishes free
> > (CC-BY-SA) articles about free software, open source and Linux on a monthly
> > basis.
> >
> > The german "about" page at http://subsurface.hohndel.org/de/about/ is already a
> > great start that can be used as a primer.
> >
> > I feel that an article about subsurface would fit very well into the context of
> > the magazine, being free software and such. I don't know how many of our readers
> > are divers, but the free license of the magazine would allow anybody to reuse,
> > translate and republish the article wherever he sees fit.
> >
> > Let me know what you think of this idea...
>
> I think that's very interesting. Ideall this should be written by one of
> our German divers - my German is getting rusty and my dive-German causes
> my brother to laugh...
>
> > PS: The editorial deadlines for march and april issue are 15.02. and 22.03.
> >     respectively, which makes an appearance in march issue rather unlikely.
>
> A week is doable, if enough of the German divers collaborate - we have
> quite a few here on the list. I'll be more than happy to draft
> something, help with editing, etc.
>
> How long would that have to be? What are other editorial guidelines?

Great.

Editorial guidelines can be found at
http://www.freiesmagazin.de/system/files/autorenrichtlinien-20120226.pdf

The most important points are:
- Format should be either ODF or plain text.
- The length of the article can be up to 10 pages, anything longer than that
  should be split (usually this is done for programming tutorial articles)

What would be the best way to collaboratively draft this thing?
- Use the subsurface repository?
- Use the subsurface mailinglist?
- Use something different altogether?
- Some Wiki/Piratepad?
- Individual Emails between the "designated authors"?

My personal favorite would be a piratepad...

Cheers,

Holger