Calculated Ceiling

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Wed Feb 6 04:00:02 PST 2013

On 02/06/2013 06:51 AM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> BTW: what's ceiling in German?

That is a very good question. I consulted some DC manufacturer manuals on this.

Suunto uses a wild variety of different German and Denglish words in their
German manual, but most often they call it "Dekompressionsstufe", which is
both ambiguous and unprecise.

Atomic describes the displayed ceiling initially as "tiefster Dekompressionsstop",
later abbreviated just as "Dekompressionsstop" or even "Deko-Stop".

Scubapro describes the ceiling value in the display as "tiefster Stop",
but uses the word "Dekompressionsstop" in many places elsewhere without
specifically noticing whether the deepest one or just any of several
decompression stops is meant.

If there's enough space, I'd recommend to use "tiefster Dekompressionsstop"
as this is unambigous, or "tiefster Deko-Stop" if space is an issue.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg