new MacDive format

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 05:19:00 PST 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Nick Shore (the author of MacDive) was kind enough to alert me to an upcoming change in the file format for the MacDive XML. Here's an example file that should show all the relevant elements.

Good, I'll update the XSLT accordingly. Something I have already
noticed is, that the root tag is dives, thus it might collide easily
with other divelog files.

Does anyone know whether the stored information varies between metric
and imperial units. Or is it only a matter of displaying the data?

> We already import much of this correctly; we don't import the gear of course, and we appear not to parse the ppo2 and the alarms in the samples. It would be neat if we could match the dive computers by serial :-)

The tank information was something that I probably do want to import
from the logs and match with gases information. Or actually when
looking at the new format it is easier than I thought as I only need
info from the gases sections as the tank size is available there now.

I have also considered importing the gear information and storing it
to the notes field - do you guys think this makes sense or should it
just be ignored?

And one big consideration is how to import the information of the dive
computer used. Currently the Model and serial number are available,
but where should I "copy" the serial number to in the subsurface log
format?

miika