Right click map selection

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Feb 10 12:47:16 PST 2013

On Feb 10, 2013, at 12:37 PM, Lutz Vieweg wrote:

> On 02/10/2013 08:55 PM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> Lutz, if you try to reproduce this, is the error always the same? Always
>> in the same direction? Maybe the 'hotspot' of the mouse isn't where we
>> think it is and the coordinates are slightly off because of that?
>
> When I tried to reproduce the problem I realized that I was probably
> misled by the following:
>
> 1) I was assuming the right-click "mark location here" would mark the
> spot in the middle of the "target ring/cross" - while in fact it marks
> the position where the mouse pointer pointed to right before
> right-clicking. This is all but obvious - if it is intended to be
> like this, the "target ring/cross" should rather be removed, it does not
> seem to serve a purpose, or does it?

Yes, this is "as designed". But you make a good point about the "target ring" - that could indeed be misleading the user.
We were hoping to create a help text overlay that would tell people something like "right click to mark dive spot at mouse location" which I think would solve the confusion, right? Henrik is working on that one, I believe, but he was distracted by going diving today… :-)
I'll also look into removing the "target ring".

> 2) I would probably have noticed my mis-assumption in 1) if there
> had not been the bug that prevented me from changing the position
> using the map again.

Linus fixed that one…