Menu/List fonts honor Xft.dpi, graph fonts do not

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sun Feb 10 14:59:10 PST 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Lutz Vieweg <lvml at 5t9.de> wrote:
> This may be considered a cosmetic issue that most people
> won't experience, but for the purpose of recording a screen cast
> I changed the Xft.dpi setting to 200dpi (instead of the 96dpi that were
> set before), and the fonts used in the menus and lists scaled nicely,
> but the fonts in the graph did not.
>
> See attached screen shot.
>
> I guess this could become an issue for people using subsurface
> on monitors with really high resolution... which become more and
> more popular, these days...

It's largely on purpose. The profile fonts are pretty much designed to
be "smallest legible font", and everything on the profile is scaled to
pixel values. So a thin line is 1 pixel wide, and the normal small
fonts are 10 pixels.

And having used subsurface on anything from 1024x600 to 2560x1440, I
personally find that to be the right choice. If anything, I find the
for for depth markers to be unnecessarily *big* (we set that one to 14
pixels).

So I think we should change the depth markers to 12 pixels, and then
perhaps have something like

                /* For blind people */
                if (get_screen_dpi() > 150)
                        plot_scale *= 2;

in plot_set_scale() (in the "case SC_SCREEN" case) which should make
the text be drawn in double size for people who have set their screen
DPI to a big value.

Hmm?

              Linus