Menu/List fonts honor Xft.dpi, graph fonts do not

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Sun Feb 10 15:53:44 PST 2013

On 02/11/2013 12:38 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Hmm. For screen-casts, one option that looks half-way viable might be
> to just use the "magnifier" thing in the gnome accessibility options.
> That can be used to magnify a part (or all) of the screen, and might
> just work. Of course, since it's a pure magnification, it doesn't
> improve the *quality* of the fonts

Screen magnification looks ugly; in comparison, using the subsurface
built-in zoom mode to show some profile details will be the better
choice as long as no other means of magnifying the plot labels exist.

> but for a screen-cast that gets
> converted down to 720p that may not be a big issue.

Ehm... my video turorial will of course be 1080p... I am too much
into video quality to use anything less ;-)

Yet, when watched from some distance or on a smaller screen, the texts
in subsurface will of course need to stay readable, and the Xft.dpi
setting already does a good job on this.

I think I can work with what is possible already, but any additional
way to increase the plot label is welcome, of course.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg