country data and translation status

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Feb 12 10:31:38 PST 2013

I turned on country-tracking for the Subsurface website. Pretty
surprising results after a few days (likely not long enough to be
statistically significant, but I think this gives us /some/ idea of
level of interest by country):

The top 3 countries (and the only three with more than 10%) are Germany,
Finland and the US.
Next we have France, UK and Norway - all six countries that we have
localizations of the application for (but not the web site).

I don't think it's worth to localize the web site in Finnish (most
everyone there speaks very good English). But the data does seem to
support the idea to create a French version of the web site, next...

The only country with at least 2% of viewers that doesn't have a
dedicated translation of the app is Ukraine (#7 - but then, a good part
of the Ukrainian population actually speaks Russian and that we do
have).

Now let's talk about translations for Subsurface:

Complete at this point are

Bulgarian
German
Swiss-German
Norwegian
Dutch
Russian
Swedish

Very close are

Slovakian 97% (just a few words are missing - looks easy to complete)
Finnish 94% (just a few words are missing - looks easy to complete)

Pretty much missing with no real updates since 2.1 (October of last
year) are

French   63%
Spanish  61%
Croatian 52%
Italian  50%

Two of these four have me worried...

I know that Ivan is working on Croatian and I heard from Pierre that
he's working on French.

But no words on Italian and Spanish... Can anyone from those translation
teams (or individuals) speak up and let me know how things are going?

Thanks