Video Tutorial status

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Feb 12 20:31:28 PST 2013

Lutz Vieweg <lvml at 5t9.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> just wanted to let you know about the current state of my effort
> to create a video introduction tutorial about subsurface:
>
> - Video track editing is completed, run length ~ 14min.
>
> - Audio track is next - since this is the first time that I try
>    to combine a video track with a "voice from off" track recorded
>    later, I cannot precisely predict how long this will take,
>    but I hope to have a final version ready by the end of this week,
>    rendered/encoded & uploaded next weekend.

That sounds excellent.

> - So far, only an English version is planned. Localization would only be
>    easier than starting from scratch if the audio track was dubbed,
>    only - but that that would probably be of limited use.

I think an English video is a great start. Based on the visitor
statistics that I have the only other language that would make any sense
to create is one that you are very familiar with. We do get A LOT of
visits from German computers...

> @Dirk: I guess you would rather link to an external hoster than
> have people download such a video from your web site?
> (The video will be free for downloading/copying/editing to anyone,
> anyway.)

Yes, I am not setup to stream video from my domain. I'm already spending
a lot of money on this... so I'd rather have you host that on YouTube
and link to it there.

Thanks for doing that - I think this is a really cool idea!