Depth validation in planner

Jan Schubert Jan.Schubert at GMX.li
Wed Feb 13 11:52:53 PST 2013

On 13.02.2013 11:59, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Robert C. Helling <helling at lmu.de
> <mailto:helling at lmu.de>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, Sergey Starosek wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>         During testing I've accidentally entered depth of 1000m with
>         1min duration for the first segment. At this point application
>         stops responding for a long time and consumes 100% CPU on one
>         of the cores. Every focus change makes it even worse.
>

>     I think, it's calculating a very long deco. You can see it for a
>     400m dive: For me it takes several seconds to come up with a plan
>     to come out of the water (which asks for about 3000 minutes of
>     deco). So for your 1km dive, we might have to wait longer than
>     MAX_INT seconds.
>

> We should still have a cutoff.  Noone is seriously going to plan a
> dive deeper than ~300m.

You know there are several people did dives deeper than 300m already? I
guess we'll see more in the future and it's not that far from the the
max. depths of guys I know.

Personally I'd like to have the theoretical approach to test and play
around with extreme depths and times. Is there really a need to limit
the user in such a hard way? I should not have problems to change the
code for this by myself, but I guess other users also interested in such
a theoretical approach.

Thx,
Jan