Translation management ?

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Feb 13 14:44:55 PST 2013

On Feb 13, 2013, at 2:28 PM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:

>>> I think that's a good idea.
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The worse is that  we still need an account to download translations from Transifex.
>>> But I can certainly give you a patch to handle Transifex translations through the transifex client. If you agree I can create the project, send the patch and then change the project with correct ownership (set maintainers).
>>
>> Can we do this after 3.0 has been released? I'm really already overwhelmed with all the things we still are missing.
>
> Well putting in place the infrastructure shouldn't too hard and is
> pretty independent from subsurface itself.
>
> We could set it up and just wait for 3.1 to do the integration in the
> subsurface build itself.

I'll be willing to do this right after 3.0 is out.

>> My #1 heartburn right now are the Italian and Spanish translations. But there's also release notes, README, web updates, etc, etc, etc
>
>> From experience, I wonder if transifex wouldn't help on this.

The translations? Hopefully. Getting release notes, README, web updates, etc? Not so much. Someone needs to write all this stuff.
And lately that someone has always been me :-/

>> Anyone willing to work on some of these things?
>
> I guess I can try to do some things for the French version and bother
> Kévin until he does the reviewing :)

French certainly would be the third language after English and German that I'd love to see. At least maybe an About, Supported Divecomputers and Download page.

But I think that would make more sense once I have the content for 3.0 ready. Which I don't at this point :-(
I also want to significantly improve the Download experience. 70% of our visitors are on Windows or Mac. All they should see on top of the page is a BIG BUTTON that says "DOWNLOAD" and get the right binaries for their platform…