docs addition - section on the dive planner

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Feb 14 00:49:09 PST 2013

On Feb 14, 2013, at 12:39 AM, Amit Chaudhuri wrote:

> I have taken the liberty of writing up a documentation section on the dive planner.  It is based on limited experimentation with the feature this morning as I had breakfast. It may therefore show signs of coffee stains and bread crumbs....
>
> Specific limitations of the contribution would include (but not be limited to):
>
> - no idea what GFlow and GFlowHigh are
> - no detail of CC set point use for re-breathers (draw attention to it and say nothing else)
> - possibly over zealous in pointing out current limitations (I can't see any place the app checks gas consumption against planned equipment so default to asserting it does not)
> - position in the docs - entirely arbitrary

Great start - Jacco, do you want to integrate it or should I? Actually, I'd love to see the current state of the docs (regardless how half- or quarter-completed they may be), just to get a better feel for where we are with this.
The control freak in me is having a hard time :-)

Amit, a few comments:

- GFlow and GFhigh are the Gradient Factors used for the decompression calculations
- your remark about CC settings seems fine. I'm sure that Jan will be happy to expand on that part
- indeed, we make no attempts to check the gas consumption against any specific gear that the user might plan to take on the dive
- on the other hand, we do allow people to add arbitrary nitrox and trimix gases. We actually support quite a few formats. Things like EAN40 or 40% or 40/0 all will give you a 40% Nitrox gas. And 13/55 will give you a nice trimix gas, adequate for reasonably deep dives down to about 100m (but not so great when breathing on the surface, as for a good share of people a pO2 of 0.13 might cause unconsciousness…) :-)

> Slurp....more coffee...

Oh, I stopped drinking coffee 9 hours ago. Maybe that's why I'm getting tired…