planner changes and new strings

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Thu Feb 14 07:24:03 PST 2013

On Feb 14, 2013 1:09 AM, "Dirk Hohndel" <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:.

> You are correct - I can reproduce this. But I cannot explain it. The
warning should be displayed BEFORE the plan is calculated. It clearly isn't.
> I hate Gtk.

This one is probably simple and not really a 'hate gtk' thing.

Just about any GUI toolkit has to have a "main event loop" kind of model,
because threads are hard, and concurrent accesses result is random
semantics.

So to get anything displayed you have to call the main loop. Not do some
busy-waiting calculation.

You can either use a thread (like the dive computer download does) or for a
single update like this you can use the "run main loop until idle" gtk
call. I forget the name of the routine, see our download thread thing...

          Linus