planner changes and new strings

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Feb 14 07:40:51 PST 2013

On Feb 14, 2013, at 7:24 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2013 1:09 AM, "Dirk Hohndel" <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:.
> >
> > You are correct - I can reproduce this. But I cannot explain it. The warning should be displayed BEFORE the plan is calculated. It clearly isn't.
> > I hate Gtk.
>
> This one is probably simple and not really a 'hate gtk' thing.
>
> Just about any GUI toolkit has to have a "main event loop" kind of model, because threads are hard, and concurrent accesses result is random semantics.
>
> So to get anything displayed you have to call the main loop. Not do some busy-waiting calculation.
>
> You can either use a thread (like the dive computer download does) or for a single update like this you can use the "run main loop until idle" gtk call. I forget the name of the routine, see our download thread thing…

I'm not going to add a thread before 3.0 :-)

And I can't find a "run main loop until idle" call in the docs. You can run gtk_main_iteration_do(FALSE) to get one event handled without the risk of blocking… reading through the download thread didn't get me any closer to a solution, either :-(

I'll play with issuing calls to gtk_main_iteration_do() to see if that helps…