Debian package

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Feb 15 16:49:21 PST 2013

On Feb 15, 2013, at 4:45 PM, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Feb 2013, Roland Dreier wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>> Ah, life is much better now, thanks to Jef actively working with us.
>>> There is a v0.3 branch and v0.3.0 release and that is what we require
>>> for Subsurface 3.0
>>>
>>> I agree, the situation a little over a year ago when we did 1.1 and
>>> 1.2 was quite messy
>>
>> So the v0.3 branch will be ABI-stable?
>
> Maybe ;)  But that's what subsurface links against right now.

Yes, it will be. Jef has done a great job keeping 0.2 rock solid stable throughout its life, I have no doubt that he'll do the same for 0.3.

Now we did not USE 0.2 during the 3.0 development cycle so we were exposed to the changes that happened in master before 0.3 got released, but that's more an issue of Jef's approach to version numbering.

He jumps to the new version in master right after he releases the previous one. So master already claims to be 0.4.0 - I don't love this approach, but that's what he has chosen. As long as you stick with the 0.3 branch you'll be fine.

>> And all I need to package right now is libdivecomputer 0.3.0?
>
> Right.  Unfortunately, the debian maintainer, Khalid El Fathi (Cc:ed),
> seems to be MIA.
> No reactions to (my) bug reports, lately :(
> Note: it may be a good idea to not diverge too much from debian patches
> (mainly to subsurface).  Static linkning against libdivecomputer, of what
> I can recall.

That is what we needed to do for 1.1 and 1.2. I don't think that's necessary anymore.