dependency to openssl

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Fri Feb 15 17:12:03 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Linus Torvalds

> Just copy the two files in git/block-sha1, and then replace
> "SHA1_init()" with "blk_SHA1_init()" etc. The silly thing is optimized
> C - to the point that it actually beats the openssl hand-runed
> assembler version on most CPUs.

Ok, I just sent a patch. It's entirely untested, but it compiles, so
it must be perfect.

People should double-check that the headers (for memcpy and for the
htonl() stuff) are sufficient for OSX and Windows, but the code itself
is what git uses, so it shouldn't really have any real portability
gotchas. But our header files are a bit different from the git ones,
as is obviously our build environment, so it's possible that there is
some "Windows needs xyz.h in order to use <arpa/inet.h>". I wrote the
git code, but others handled the Windows oddities.

            Linus