Status towards 3.0

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Feb 15 23:31:42 PST 2013

Documentation:
==============

Not updated at all since 2.1.
This is the gating issue right now

Translations:
=============

Bulgarian: complete
Swiss German: complete
German: complete
Finnish: complete
French: complete
Norwegian: complete
Dutch: complete
Russian: complete
Spanish: 1 fuzzy (+ 1 fuzzy / 2 not translated that don't matter)
Swedish: 1 fuzzy

with apologies to the swiss, that's nine languages ready to ship...

Polish: 88% (34 strings missing)
Slovakian: 94% (2 fuzzy / 21 strings missing)

two more that are almost there and that I'd be willing to leave in and
just fix in a 3.1 (but of course I will accept patches more or less at
any time before I cut the release)

Croatian: 50%
Italian: 50%

And two that I am going to remove (unless I receive patches in time)

I know that Ivan was working on Croation - he had hoped to be done about
a week ago, so I don't know were we stand there.
And for Italian I still haven't hear a single response, so I guess that
Filippo simply is too busy or lost interest. He is still on the list but
hasn't posted since his last translation update for 2.1 in late October.

So unless we have another miracle like we did with Spanish where
Salvador simply took over and cranked out a complete translation in
under two days, I think we'll have to drop Italian.

Code:
=====

While I still hope for a few more small fixes here and there (for
example, Salvador wanted to send a small tweak for print.c) I think we
are mostly done. Yes, there are still issues but we'll tackle those for
3.1.

Please keep testing and report bugs! I'd rather delay the release and
fix nasty issues that you might run into (but hopefully you won't).

Binaries:
=========

I'm pretty happy with the state of Windows and Mac binaries.
As of a couple of hours ago Anas Nashif (who isn't even on this mailing
list) has stepped up and created openSUSE Build Service builds (right
now for 2.1 but I'm sure he'll update this for 3.0 once it is tagged).
With this we have binaries for download for openSUSE (and also Fedora,
but we obviously have a Fedora maintainer for Subsurface.
Roland offered to take care of a Debian package, which I assume will
make it easy for someone to also create a Ubuntu package. Any
volunteers?
And ArchLinux and Gentoo are covered by Bearsh and Francois
So that looks like a very decent list indeed.

Website:
========

We are trilingual now (English, German, French), but none of the updates
for 3.0 have been done. I was hoping to get the new documentation,
first, but I guess this is the next thing I will tackle.

Announcement:
=============

A lame start at ReleaseNotes is in git. I'll go through the v2.1..v3.0
shortlog to see what else I can find. Quick stats:

   311	Dirk Hohndel
   136	Linus Torvalds
    54	Lubomir I. Ivanov
    28	Henrik Brautaset Aronsen
    20	Miika Turkia
    12	Salvador Cuñat
     8	Sergey Starosek
     8	Jan Schubert
     6	Pierre-Yves Chibon
     5	Robert C. Helling
     5	Reinout Hoornweg
     4	Fredrik Steen
     3	Martin Gysel
     3	Carl Worth
     3	Amit Chaudhuri
     2	Jozef Ivanecký
     2	Stéphane Raimbault
     1	Tommi Saviranta
     1	Pablo Garcia Castro
     1	Krzysztof Arentowicz
     1	boret

more than 600 commits from 21 contributors (actually more contributors
as some of the translations had multiple authors but are listed here by
committer and as of course everyone who found and reported an issue is
also a contributor)

I was planning to announce on Google+, Facebook, scubaboard,
scubamagazine, wetalkdiving and Freecode. I'll submit something to
divernet and LWN.net and Jan is sending something to taucher.net, Lutz
will post his video to YouTube.

I will figure out how to link to all threads and posts from the News
section of the website :-)

Timing:
=======

Heck if I know. I really wanted to get this out this weekend, but
without Documentation update that won't happen. So now I'm aiming for
later next week. I hope to hear from Jacco where he stands - worst case
I'll need to pull a couple more all-nighters while I'm at ELC in San
Francisco and just finish it...

What am I missing?