Merging data from two DC broken?

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Feb 16 00:57:15 PST 2013

Miika Turkia <miika.turkia at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>> Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> writes:

>>> Is this with doing an actual download or are you importing XML files?
>>
>> The reason I'm asking... we changed the merging a while ago so that it
>> does NOT try to merge dives if they are BOTH in a trip. So if you have
>> one file with a trip and then download (that dive has no trip) things
>> work. But if you saved them separately and both have trips, then this no
>> longer merges (this is intentional so you can actually load XML files
>> from two different people and the result is still somewhat useful).
>
> Directly from DCs. Didn't do any trip generation..just pure download
> from both computers. I did save the first download to an XML before
> downloading the next and it seems that when I open the XML from only
> the first DC, it does actually have all the dives in a trip.

Well, the code I am talking about does this.

	if (a->divetrip && b->divetrip && a->divetrip != b->divetrip)
		return 0;

Something downloaded from the DC should have no divetrip so it should
fail this test.

> I wonder
> if this is due to:
>         <entry name="autogroup" mtime="1357662577" type="bool" value="true"/>
>
> Is this setting still used or not?

No, the preferences / config for autogroup are no longer honored. But my
bet is that your XML file contains something like this:

<settings>
<autogroup state='1' />
</settings>

Still, that should cause the merge to fail. Can you send the XML file
after the failed merge? Maybe I can manually recreate the failing
scenario...