Video Tuturial now available

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Feb 16 20:42:58 PST 2013

On Feb 16, 2013, at 4:54 PM, Lutz Vieweg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> you can now find the first version of my video tutorial on Subsurface at
> http://archive.org/details/SubsurfaceVideoTutorial
>
> Please let me know what you think about is, whether I something is
> completely wrong or missing etc.

I /really/ like it. What a cool idea to do a tutorial.

One thing that would be nice (given that most of our users are likely to
be on Windows) would be a Windows version. A quick look at running the
installer, the different device names for the serial devices, etc.

But even without this I think this is a really nice addition to our existing
(and still under construction) documentation.

> The narrators voice track has some noise floor due to me not owning
> professional microphone equipment, I had to use the builtin microphones
> of my GH2 camera. I tried to apply a dynamic noise gate filter, but
> the side effects were more adverse than the noise floor

I noticed an accent on the narrator ( :-D ) but no distracting noise level.

> I wonder whether it's worth uploading downscaled versions of the video
> since the bit rate required for a decent 1080p image is kind of low,
> anyway (due to the small scenery complexity).

I don't think that's it's worth the effort of creating and uploading a
downscaled version. That would only make it harder to read the screen.

> To embed the video into a web page, you can use HTML 5 code like this:

> <video width="960" height="540" poster="http://archive.org/download/SubsurfaceVideoTutorial/Subsurface_Tutorial_1080p30_3Mbps.gif" controls>
>  <source src="http://archive.org/download/SubsurfaceVideoTutorial/Subsurface_Tutorial_1080p30_3Mbps.mp4" type="video/mp4">
>  <source src="http://archive.org/download/SubsurfaceVideoTutorial/Subsurface_Tutorial_1080p30_3Mbps.webm" type="video/webm">
>  Your browser does not support the HTML5 video tag,
>  to watch the video anyway, please download it from either
>    http://archive.org/download/SubsurfaceVideoTutorial/Subsurface_Tutorial_1080p30_3Mbps.mp4
>  </a>
>  or
>  http://archive.org/download/SubsurfaceVideoTutorial/Subsurface_Tutorial_1080p30_3Mbps.webm
>  </a>
>  and watch it with any video player
>  (e.g.: <a href="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/">VLC</a>).
> </video>

Let me play with this and see how I can integrate this into the documentation
page.

Thank you again for working on the video!