Video Tuturial now available

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Sun Feb 17 15:36:13 PST 2013

On 02/17/2013 05:42 AM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2013, at 4:54 PM, Lutz Vieweg wrote:
>> I wonder whether it's worth uploading downscaled versions of the video
>> since the bit rate required for a decent 1080p image is kind of low,
>> anyway (due to the small scenery complexity).
>
> I don't think that's it's worth the effort of creating and uploading a
> downscaled version. That would only make it harder to read the screen.

I noticed that archive.org automatically derives .webm and .ogv files -
but unluckily of abysmal quality - if you don't already upload them.

Thus I thought it could be useful to upload smaller files, if
only to avoid people trying the practically unwatchable ones.

I prepared me a shell script to derive 720p .webm/.ogv/.mp4
via ffmpeg, so this wasn't a big deal (much less effort than
re-rendering).

So you can now, if you like, link to smaller, but still
"watchable" alternatives:

> http://archive.org/download/SubsurfaceVideoTutorial/Subsurface_Tutorial_720p30_1500kbps.mp4
> http://archive.org/download/SubsurfaceVideoTutorial/Subsurface_Tutorial_720p30_1500kbps.webm
> http://archive.org/download/SubsurfaceVideoTutorial/Subsurface_Tutorial_720p30_1500kbps.ogv

These should allow even the oldest firefoxes and less powered smart
phones to watch the video streaming, without downloading before.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg