Video Tuturial now available

Robert C. Helling helling at lmu.de
Mon Feb 18 00:02:43 PST 2013

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013, Lutz Vieweg wrote:

Lutz,

> you can now find the first version of my video tutorial on Subsurface at
> http://archive.org/details/SubsurfaceVideoTutorial

well done!

> Please let me know what you think about is, whether I something is
> completely wrong or missing etc.

I have two suggestions, though: It seems archive.org's bandwith is quite
limited, at home (where usually I have no problems watching streamed
video) it stopped several times due to the buffer running low and I had to
wait about a minute to restart. Now I am in the office (with a 100MBit
uplink more or less directly attached to the German backbone) and it does
not start at all (spinning dots of death).

Maybe you should consider uploading it to vimeo.com as well? It's free
(i.e. no money, no ads) and also hosting CC licensed stuff.

> The narrators voice track has some noise floor due to me not owning
> professional microphone equipment, I had to use the builtin microphones
> of my GH2 camera. I tried to apply a dynamic noise gate filter, but
> the side effects were more adverse than the noise floor.

You only notice in the cuts where it drops to silence for a second or two.
Maybe you want to add a 'comfort noise' track?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort_noise

Best
Robert

                       Scientific Coordinator
print "Just another   Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
     stupid .sig\n";   http://www.atdotde.de