user manual - planning dives

Reinout Hoornweg reinout at xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 18 14:19:05 PST 2013

On Monday 18 February 2013 13:47:21 Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> Reinout Hoornweg <reinout at xs4all.nl> writes:
> >> Also, the created html file now references images/icons/warning.png
> >> which we don't appear to have...
> >
> > Ah, that's probably because I used the asciidoc's way of showing a
> > warning.
> > The 'make user-manual.xhtml' uses a2x which can create an images-directory
> > with the needed icons.
>
> The look and feel of the html created by that was strange. Tables are
> very narrow, for example. Can you explain the advantages to me?

No particular advantage. Just a slightly different format that seemed more in
line with  the PDF-version and it copied the needed images. The makefile still
does the original rendering in html when doing "make show" or "make doc".

> > Makes the page look prettier and I think at some point we'll need an
> > images- directory anyway if we want to add screenshots to the
> > documentation.
> That's a good point. The documentation is utterly lacking images and
> that's a major shortcoming. Not sure we'll have time to address this
> time around (remember, I'm trying to release in just a few days), but
> definitely something to work on.

Using screenshots would be nice, but that is a good goal to add to the list
for a next release. In the meantime I'll do some work on the tables included
in the documentation. I'll be adding headers, borders, etc. to make them look
a little bit nicer.

Reinout